[tn-bird] Of birds and butterflies

  • From: "Anna Varney" <arvarney@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 18:24:50 -0500

No Forster's Tern at Monsanto Ponds outside of Columbia this morning.  But,
there were other interesting birds.

Rose-breasted Grosbeaks-at least 10 female (Purple Finch on steroids) and first
fall males.

Ruby-throated Hummingbirds-I saw 12 along a 300' walk feeding on spotted
jewelweed and other flowers growing along drainage ditches.

Gray Catbird-2
Lots of sparrows moving too quickly for good looks.
One great big acorn that fell from a tree and hit me square on top of the head.

I've got a Blackjack Oak going through some form of decay-it is oozing sap from
various places on the trunk.  This "oozing" has made a great butterfly
observation area.  This evening I counted 5 Red Admirals, 7 Question Marks and
1 Cow Killer (this is not a butterfly but something that looks like an
overgrown ant, red/black body segments).

Thanks to everyone, namely Charlie, on the salamander issue.  It was really
stupid of me to pack up books, namely field guides!

Anna Varney
Summertown, TN