[TN-Bird] OT - eBird

  • From: Carole Gobert <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 12:36:27 -0400

Just wanted to let Tennessee eBirders know that a lot of new hotspots have been
added for the state.  Due to the extensive backlog of hotspot suggestions from
eBirders across the country the folks at Cornell recently asked for volunteers
to help out and as a result I am now the Hotspot Reviewer/Administrator for
Tennessee.  So when you submit your sightings, please check to see if there is
a hotspot that corresponds to the area in which you birded.  Also, if you have
a personal location that is the same as an existing hotspot (and it appears
there may be a lot of these) you can merge your personal location with the
hotspot.  There are instructions on the eBird website on how to do this (it's
easy) but if you need assistance please contact me.  In addition to approving
many new hotspot locations, I have made an effort to organize them to a degree
by renaming some sites so that they appear as sublocations under a larger site,
such as the Great Smoky Mountains NP.  If the area you birded would fall in one
of these sublocations, it would be better to use that than the larger site; the
more specific the information you provide, the better.  I would appreciate any
suggestions or comments.  And of course, don't hesitate to suggest a new
hotspot; you won't have to wait months for it to be acted upon.... honest.

I can understand how Cornell fell behind; it's a labor-intensive job involving
checking to be sure there is no duplication and that the location has been
correctly plotted.  I have worked through most of Tennessee's list; there was a
backlog of nearly 90 suggestions, the oldest dating back to July 2008.  This
came at a good time for me.  Having just returned from one of David Trently's
Avian Pursuits Nature Tours to Michigan's Upper Peninsula--3+ days of non-stop
birding--I was ready to sit at a computer for a few days.  Besides, after
seeing Evening Grosbeaks, Kirtland's Warblers, Gray Jays, and believe it or
not, a Golden Winged Warbler and a Mourning Warbler singing from exposed
perches, I haven't really felt like going birding here just yet.

Sorry to go on an on; I won't make a habit of it but this is the best way I
could think of to get the message out to Tennessee eBirders.

Carole Gobert, Knoxville

cpgoebrt@xxxxxxxxxxx

                       MAP RESOURCES