[TN-Bird] OT - Goodbye to Tennessee - Moving to Arizona (long)

  • From: Jon Mann <dback_jon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 19:09:06 -0800 (PST)

All,
After almost five years in Tennessee, work has led me,
along with Rob Lane, back to Arizona, with the movers
coming the 22nd of January.  I am currently in Arizona
working, with an empty house....

Rob and I would like to thank all of the incredible
people we have met across the state while birding.  We
have had the good fortune to meet/bird with people
from every corner of the state, and have been greatly
enriched by the knowledge that was shared by all.

Rob and I began birding back in 2003 - first backyard
birding, then quickly expanding the scope as we became
hooked on the birds.  Our first birding trip was
inspired by articles in The Tennessean - a story on a
wintering Allen's Hummingbird in Carthage, and the
Crane Festival at Hiwassee became the first of many
trips seeking birds.  At the festival, we picked up a
TOS brochure, which led us to the wonderful folks at
NTOS.  NTOS field trips and meetings followed, which
provided us many new life birds, some seen thousands
of times since (Common Grackle), others, much rarer
(American Woodcock).

We were soon hooked up to this forum, TN-Birds.
Thanks to Wallace and the dedicated posters, many new
birds have been seen - Surf Scoters at Radnor,
Red-necked Pharalope at Britton Ford, Glaucous Gull at
Pickwick.  Of course, others, like the Sage Sparrow
went unseen, but the chase was still fun.

We are going to miss TOS, and especially all of our
wonderful friends at NTOS greatly.  The past four
years have been a lot of fun, and we were happy to
have found the group.

We will be living in Chandler, a suburb of Phoenix -
full of birds, some familar, some new.  In our yard we
get to keep the Mourning Dove, and add the Inca Dove.
White-crowned Sparrows are everywhere.  Lesser
Goldfinches brighten our thistle feeder, Cactus Wrens,
Curve-billed Thrashers, Gila Woodpecker and Gilded
Flicker eat the suet, while Anna's and Costa's visit
the hummingbird feeder.  Verdin and Yellow-rumped
(Audubon's) glean insects in the shrubs.  We are
surrounded by artificial lakes, full of Great Blue and
Green Herons, Snowy and Great Egrets, Neotropical and
Double-crested Comorants, with dozens of American
Wigeons grazing in the grassy areas.

Phoenix, while not getting near the rarities/fame that
SE Arizona deservedly gets, still has excellent
birding.  We have had a few opportunities to find some
of the great places, and will become more familar with
the area as the year progresses.  Within 15 miles of
our house, we have already seen Streak-backed Oriole,
both Whistling-Ducks, Cinnamon Teal, Northern Saw-whet
Owl (roosting in a suburban front yard) to mention a
few.  So if you are in the area, drop us a line - we'd
be happy to share our new knowledge with Tennesseans!

Again, it has been a joy to bird with everyone in
Tennessee!!

Jon Mann
Rob Lane
Chandler, AZ