[TN-Bird] OT: Dauphin Island trip last week

  • From: Leigh Loveday <lkloveday@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 10:06:33 -0800 (PST)

Leigh?s spring break was last week, so we decided to get some R
& R at Dauphin Island and hopefully see a few birds in the
process.  This was our first trip to DI.  No fall-out
experiences were witnessed (we knew we were at least 3 weeks too
early for that likelihood), but we did see 114 total species in
4 days.  Highlights:   10 Black Skimmers, 2 Clapper Rail
sightings (we saw one pluck a dwarf crab from the shallows),
Stilt sandpiper, Black bellied plover,  2 Sandwich terns among
the Royal?s, 2 Oystercatchers,  Long billed curlew,  numerous
Tri-color and Little blue herons, Cattle egret, many Snowy
egrets, pair of Brown headed nuthatches, at least 25
Prothonotary warbler sightings, 2 male Hooded warblers,  at
least a dozen each sightings of Black and white warbler and
Northern parula, Louisiana waterthrushes, many YT, RE, &
solitary vireos, Ruby throated hummers (4 males), and 2 Indigo
buntings.  Eurasian collared doves were everywhere.  A Peregrine
falcon was seen carrying blackbird above the Gulf. An immature
eagle was seen nabbing a fish and walking around the shallows at
Bayou Le Batre ponds.  We got a brief glimpse of a Seaside
sparrow, but we and another group could never flush it out again
for a better look.  We missed a Scissor tail flycatcher,
Swallowtail kite, Summer tanager, Worm eating warbler, and a
Common ground dove seen by others.

We also saw an alligator at the Audubon bird sanctuary pond,  a
copperhead resting on some bent grass at the Shell Mounds,  and
many  Green anole lizards. Also the azaleas were in bloom and
were beautiful to see.

We met some fine people along the way, had some fantastic
seafood, and kicked back at this Mayberry by the Sea.  Not bad
for under $800.  We hope we can get down there for one of those
infamous fall-outs down the road?

Robert and Leigh Loveday
Knoxville, TN