[TN-Bird] Notice to TN-Bird Subscribers

  • From: Wallace Coffey <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 1-A TN-Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 16:11:06 -0300

TN-Birders:
We have several TN-Bird subscribers who are not following the posting format
which requires that the location of birds be specific as to county as well
as town or city or nearest town or city of reports.

We also have some who are not including their first and last names as well
as the town or city and state from which they are posting.

These are important elements that make our postings specific, clear and
useful to every subscribers.

More recently I have been contacting those persons individually but the lack
of cooperation has begun to increase to the point that is becoming less
practical.

The problem happens because some new subscribers haven't taken note of what
is required.  Some subscribers drift to the insider mentality and think
everyone knows that needs to know.
Some just hate to conform.  They convince themselves that  this is not needed.

We constantly have new subscribers who have just moved to the state, are new
birders and don't know the localities.  Some live in surrounding states.

We are not an insider list.  We are not a list serving just those who are in
the know.  We are not a list just for experienced birders who can read and
understand our alpha (four-letter) codes if we don't  explain what they
mean.  We are not a list of persons who have all been birding so long we
know all the lingo and slang.

No location in Tennessee is so well known that not one subscriber doesn't
know where it is.

Please help us.  Please help your fellow birders.  Please keep TN-Birds a
clean, neat and birder-friendly list.  We have always worked hard to keep it
that way.  The best birders on this list and some of the best known and most
talented birders in the state are the ones who always work to be very
specific and follow the format.

Let's not let TN-Birds degrade into the tragic mess that some state lists
have become.  We are looked to by some states as a model.
Let's keep our standards high and useful.

Let's go birding.....

Wallace Coffey
Owner
TN-Birds Net