[TN-Bird] Re: Norris Dam - Black Scoter, Common Goldeneye

  • From: Carole Gobert <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 17:10:31 -0500

I too was at the Norris Dam Songbird Trail in Anderson County today.  When I
arrived at the Weir Dam at 11:45 a.m. I found 4 female Buffleheads just above
the weir. I then drove to the north end of the Songbird Trail and walked back
to the weir, arriving around 2 pm.  Another birder was there with his scope and
said that he was looking at a Black Scoter.  He kindly let me have a look but
unfortunately the scoter was in the process of leaving downriver and floated
quickly out of sight behind the island opposite the weir, giving me only a
brief glimpse before it disappeared.  There were also 3 Ring-Necked Ducks at
that same location. My scope was in my car 1.4 miles upstream.  I walked back
to it at a more brisk pace than usual, returned to the weir and also the
parking lot just above it but the scoter was not in sight.  I then drove down
River Road, stopping at the boat ramp and walking along the fishing trail there
but couldn't relocate the scoter.  Returned to the parking lot above the weir
(south end of the Songbird Trail).  The Buffleheads had returned and were now
accompanied by a male Common Goldeneye diving and swimming slowly upriver
toward the big dam.  The Ring-necks were still in the area on the other side of
the island across from the weir as were several Mallards.  The sun was glaring
brightly off the water when I looked in that direction and I eventually gave up
on it around 4:15.

Carole Gobert, Knoxville, Knox County, TN> Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 20:41:38
-0800> From: dawilliams@xxxxxxxxxxxx> To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject:
[TN-Bird] Norris Dam - Black Scoter, Common Goldeneye> > Stan Wallace and I
birded Songbird Trail below Norris Dam (Anderson Co.) today from ~9:45-12:30.
Some of the birds listed here last week by Allen Trently are apparently still
here, as we saw a female BLACK SCOTER and 3 female BUFFLEHEAD straight out from
the parking lot where Songbird Trail begins(south end). The Scoter was close to
the opposite shore. Towards the other end of the trail(north end) was a male
COMMON GOLDENEYE. The Scoter and Bufflehead were still there when we left. We
also saw a HERMIT THRUSH, a YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER, 4 or 5 RUBY-CROWNED
KINGLETS, a few YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS, and several WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS
among others but I can't manage to find any of these Pine Siskins everyone is
getting. I've now seen all 3 Scoter species (all lifers) at the same location
within 6 weeks.> > Shane Williams - Knoxville, TN> > > >
TN-Bird Net is owned by the Tennessee Ornithological Society > Neither the
society(TOS) nor its moderator(s)> endorse the views or opinions expressed> by
the members of this discussion group.> > Moderator: Wallace Coffey, Bristol,
TN> wallace@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> ------------------------------> Assistant
Moderator Andy Jones> Cleveland, OH> -------------------------------> Assistant
Moderator Dave Worley> Rosedale, VA>
Tennessee Ornithological Society> web site at http://www.tnbirds.org> * * * * *