[TN-Bird] Normandy and Bedford Lakes

  • From: tnbarredowl@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 18:33:08 -0500 (EST)

I visited Normandy Reservoir and Bedford Lake earlier today and was surprised
and the number and variety of waterfowl present.  I have never been in this
area during winter months before, so I do not know if my results are typical
for this time of year or just associated with the cold front passing through
the state today.  Here's my lists:

Normandy Reservoir (Coffee County)
Mallard  19, Green-winged Teal  16, Redhead  99, Ring-necked Duck  30, Lesser
Scaup  48, Bufflehead  179, Common Loon  95, Pied-billed Grebe  17, Horned
Grebe  17, Great Blue Heron  1, Turkey Vulture  1, Bonaparte's Gull  1,
Ring-billed Gull  1, Rock Pigeon  38, Mourning Dove  6, Red-bellied Woodpecker
2, American Kestrel  4, American Crow  8, Carolina Chickadee  5, Tufted
Titmouse  3, Golden-crowned Kinglet  1, Eastern Bluebird  6, American Robin  1,
European Starling  50, Cedar Waxwing  12, Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)  12,
Eastern Towhee  1, Chipping Sparrow  11, Field Sparrow  6, Song Sparrow  2,
White-throated Sparrow  1, Northern Cardinal  1

Bedford Lake (Bedford County)
Greater White-fronted Goose  1, Canada Goose  27, Gadwall  1, Northern Shoveler
 2, Ring-necked Duck  15, Bufflehead  86, Hooded Merganser  8, Common Loon  1,
Great Blue Heron  1, Turkey Vulture  1, American Coot  1, Ring-billed Gull  1,
Belted Kingfisher  1, Red-bellied Woodpecker  3, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  2,
Downy Woodpecker  3, American Kestrel  3, Eastern Phoebe  1, Blue Jay  3,
American Crow  2, Tufted Titmouse  2, Eastern Bluebird  15, American Robin  1,
Northern Mockingbird  2, Brown Thrasher  1, Cedar Waxwing  21, Yellow-rumped
Warbler (Myrtle)  50, Eastern Towhee  1, Field Sparrow  2, Song Sparrow  2,
Northern Cardinal  3, Red-winged Blackbird  1, Eastern Meadowlark  1, House
Finch  1

I also had a "Blue" Goose with 97 Canada Geese on a sod farm along Hwy. 110
west of Fayetteville (Lincoln County).

Damien Simbeck
Killen, AL