[tn-bird] No luck- Eurasian Wigeon & Spotted Towhee

  • From: "Todd, Michael C." <michael.c.todd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 23:28:05 -0500

I have made a couple of quick trips the past 2 mornings in-between shifts at
work, with no success. On Friday morning I made a quick dash to the location
that Jeff Wilson had found a Spotted Towhee the previous weekend. As luck
would have it, I arrived as the gravel road was being graded. There was very
little activity in the area, and a walk down the railroad tracks (only
immediate cover) produced nothing more than Song and White-throated
Sparrows, I couldn't find a Towhee of either variety. A very brisk wind had
most birds under cover with little inclination to pish up. While here I did
hear Sandhill Cranes call a couple of times in the distance, but I'm not
sure if they were flying over or in a nearby field. The only other birds to
note were a couple of dark-morph Red-tailed Hawks on the trip up.

Saturday morning I made another quick trip up to Britton Ford, with no
success here either. Lighting early in the morning here is rough, with the
Sun almost directly in your face from most vantage points. As luck would
have it again, when I got to the overlook there was a dog out walking in the
mud of the bay, and no ducks were in the bay, all were out at the limits of
vision. The majority of ducks present seemed to be piled up on the north
point from the north entrance, and with the heat shimmer most went
unidentified due to long distance. I did see several American Wigeon, but
not as many as I have been seeing, although they could easily have been in
the mass of ducks that were out of reach. I looked for the Mallard x Black
Duck hybrid with no success.  A few White-fronts and Snow Geese were still
hanging with the crowd of Canada's. No sign of the Peregrine or Eurasian
Wigeon, hopefully it will be refound for others to enjoy.

Good birding,

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN
Carroll Co.