[tn-bird] Re: No luck- Eurasian Wigeon

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 08:03:52 EST

Feb. 23 - 24, 2002
Pace Point Area

I met with birders from Nashville and Andy Sigler from Chicago and we ran the
roads looking for a Pacific Loon and the Eurasian Wigeon but had no luck with
either. Seems Chris Sloan found the loon in the one place we didn't try. On
Saturday morning, probably just after Mike was at Britton Ford, we also
strained to look into the sun for the duck but gave up to go look for loons.
Before we left, Andy and I did see the Peregrine sitting on the ground,
soaking up sun and later it flew over all of us while we were standing at
Port Road.

At Eagle Creek we had 20 plus Common Loons feeding out toward the main lake
area but none that fit the bill for Pacific. Port Road and later Pace Point
had scattered groups. About 50 loons are still hanging around the point area
with many unable to fly because of wing molt. There were fewer loons on
Sunday and I did see a few flying, so the natives are getting restless. I've
had loons there through the second week of March but I don't usually make it
back up that way any later in spring. Maybe Mike can keep tabs on late dates
for this species in that area. I've also had 2 in migration in June (4-10 and
22nd) in Lake Co.

On Sunday I spent almost 6 hours watching the ducks trade in and out of
Britton Ford from every viewing angle but came up empty handed on the
Eurasian Wigeon. I did tally 23 species of waterfowl in the area with the
best birds being a first winter, male White-winged Scoter, 2 Ross's Geese and
4 Common Merganser. It is amazing, the difference one week makes at this time
of the year, with previously abundant species disappearing and others quickly
filling the void.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA