[TN-Bird] New yare birds

  • From: "Ella Howard" <birder3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN Bird List" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 20:43:00 -0500

Greetings.
    In the last week we have had two new "yard" birds.  On Monday, May 5th we
were sitting on our front porch after dinner and birds - indigos, titmice,
tanagers, grosbeaks, and vireos were picking off little worms front a white oak
a few feet in front of our house.  As we watched, a blackpoll warbler joined
in, the first we have ever seen here, having had our place since 1998 and lived
here full-time since 2002.  We got very good looks and finally about 8:30 P. M.
it perched partially behind some leaves and stayed there until we went inside
    The other new one was a woodcock.  Near us on our property we have a little
copse of trees that surrounds a very small little open spot.  This evening
about 5:30 P. M. we went over there to look around where we often have good
bird sightings.  We have said it would be a good place for woodcock, but never
seen one and tonight I almost stepped on it.
    We have had a number of warbler species and great butterflies including
Giant, Tiger, Zebra, Pipevine, Eastern Black, and Spicebush Swallowtails,
Mourning Cloak, Appalachian Brown, Carolina Satyr; Silver Spotted, Golden
Banded, and Zebulon Skippers, Variegated Fritillary, Question Mark, Pearl
Crescent.
    Good birding to all.
                                                                J. N. Howard
                                                                Fiery Gizzard