[TN-Bird] New Respect for Ring-billed Gull

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 07:44:03 -0500 (EST)

Jan. 11, 2012

If you spend as much time as I do searching through seas of  Ring-billed
Gulls, you see so much diversity, but soon the numbers tend to  overwhelm and
dull your senses. Watching the hordes on lakes,  and rivers, in fields
gleaning farming left overs, plus thousands at  landfills grubbing through
human
refuse, you know they are survivors but now I  have new respect for that
trait.

I recently was told by a gull researcher about a banded  Ring-billed Gull
that was recently collected, that had done just that, survived  for 27 years
and 6 months breaking the standing record by 2 years. I will  scan these
birds with a new respect and know they must be loved or God  would not have
made so many.

Good  Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6300 Memphis-Arlington  Rd.
Bartlett, TN. 38135_http://WWW.pbase.com/ol_coot/_
(http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/)
What  is this feathered thing that lifts my heart to the  heavens.