[TN-Bird] Re: New Photos - including lt-morph Harlan's Hawk

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: littlezz@xxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 18:39:17 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 12/12/2011 4:15:57 P.M. Central Standard Time,
littlezz@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Jeff--  Light morph Harlan's is a very unfamiliar plumage to most of
us;  even when I lived in eastern Colorado, where dark-phase Harlan's
were not all that unusual, we hardly ever saw the light ones.  I  know
I'm kind of unsure of the critical ID points and I suspect  many
others here are, too.

Indeed these birds are rare, even out west. as they represent  less than 1%
of the Harlan's Hawks. We are fortunate here near  Memphis to have huge
numbers of wintering raptors from the west. Most  Good raptor books give
complete ID points but here are 2 photos  of another bird that I had a few
years
back in Ensley Bottoms. Most of  the ID points are evident on the new bird
just posted that I had detailed before  on these 2 photos at:

_http://www.pbase.com/image/2848024

_ (http://www.pbase.com/image/2848024)
If anyone needs more info just drop me a line.

Jeff R.  Wilson / TLBA
6300 Memphis-Arlington Rd.
Bartlett, TN. 38135
_http://WWW.pbase.com/ol_coot/_ (http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/)
What  is this feathered thing that lifts my heart to the  heavens.