[tn-bird] Nashville White crowned

  • From: Frank Fekel <fekel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 14:14:49 -0600 (CST)

This morning, Tuesday, at about 6:30 am I checked my feeders, looking
for the immature WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW that has been around all winter.
I had not seen it for about a week, so when I found it almost immediately,
I was pleased to see an old friend.  My sighting was of interest on
another count.  I noted that adult feathers are beginning to come in,
as I saw a few small patches of white on its crown and superscillium.

Unfortunately, this may be my last sighting of this winter visitor.
Tomorrow I leave for a 3 week working vacation in Australia.  I'll be
in Canberra for most of  the time.  Hopefully, there will be time for some
birdwatching.  It will be interesting to see if there is much inland fall
migration.

Frank Fekel
Tennessee State University
Center of Excellence in Information Systems
330 10th Avenue North
Nashville, TN 37203