[TN-Bird] NW TN; 9/9/2010

  • From: "Michael & Rebecca Todd" <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 12:13:17 -0500

9/9/2010
Dyer & Lake Co
I decided last minute to go up to Island 13 yesterday morning, after working
all night. Not much on the way up, one little bar pit with some exposed mud in
Dyer Co had a couple of Stilt Sandpipers as the highlight. Tennemo Levee Rd in
Dyer Co gave me my first taste of fall passerine migration, with Blue-winged,
Magnolia, Redstart and Philadelphia Vireo highlights among a little feeding
flock. Near the River in Dyer Co, I also had a Merlin and a Peregrine.

Island 13 was better than I had hoped, looking very similar to last year in
layout. It hasn't been out very long at all though with the very recent and
drastic drop of the Mississippi, so not a lot of food available yet. Some very
rough walking at times near the pool, with a lot of sand that is still wet and
very soft. Not a lot of birds out there, but nice quality. There weren't 150
shorebirds on the whole pool yesterday, and 100 of them were Least. But, a nice
juvenile (unbanded) Piping Plover which is always nice. A single Sanderling,
and a single Ruddy Turnstone came in with a small flight of Pectorals; they sat
about 10 minutes and were gone again. The other highlight was the number of
Baird's Sandpipers (all juv), at least 18. There was a group of 8 that stayed
together, and a group of 6 that stayed together, hard to count though. At one
time I had 15 in view walking around on the high, dry portion, and 3 others
down near the water. Only other shorbirds were Killdeer, Spotted, a Semi
Plover, and a few Semi Sands. No terns, gulls, ducks, etc.

After spending about 4 hours slogging around on Island 13, I was about spent. A
quick look out from Tiptonville Landing produced only an adult Bald Eagle on
the sandbar. Jolly's Landing is almost dry now. A dozen Wood Ducks took up most
of the water. Otherwise, a few Semi and Western Sands to go along with all the
Least.

I got some nice photos of the Piping and was able to wade up right on top of
Baird's. I will post some photos shortly.

Good Birding!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN
birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx