[TN-Bird] NTOS Program - March 19

  • From: "Bob Hatcher" <hatcher2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 10:01:08 -0500

Everyone is invited to the following enlightening program with the Nashville
Chapter meeting of TOS at Radnor Lake Visitors Center on Thursday evening,
March 19.
Bob Hatcher
NTOS Program Chairman
Brentwood, TN

March 19, 2009; "Birds and Birdy Sounds (Including Frogs) of the Night" Bob &
Pandy English

Join Bob and Pandy English as they share some of the night sounds and sights
they've encountered over the years.  We'll listen to young Eastern Screech
Owls, Barred Owls and Great Horned Owls giving  their "begging" calls and
listen to some owl "communication" calls that you may not have heard.  We'll
trek up a canyon in the Santa Rita Mountains to hear a Flammulated Owl.  We'll
walk along rain forest trails at night looking for Tawny-Bellied Screech Owls
and Puerto Rican Screech Owls.  And we'll search for Australian Barking Owls
and BooBooks along the Victoria River, warily keeping an eye out for Salt Water
Crocs.  Along the way, we'll listen to a few frog and toad sounds, and just
take time to savor the sounds of the night.

Andrea English has a bachelor's degree in wildlife and fisheries science from
the University of Tennessee at Knoxville and a master's degree in biology from
Austin Peay State University.  She is the Wildlife Diversity Coordinator for
TWRA's Region 2 (Middle Tennessee).  She has worked with the Agency for 5
years.  She was with the environmental consulting service Leaps for 10 years
and has been an interpretive naturalist for eighteen years at such places as
the Woodlands Nature Center at TVA's Land Between the Lakes, Dunbar Cave State
Natural Area and the Warner Parks Nature Center.

Robert English has a degree in mechanical engineering from the University of
Tennessee at Knoxville.  His interest in night birds has yielded sightings of
all nineteen species of North American owls, thirteen species of Central and
South American owls and four species of Australian owls. He flew high
performance sailplanes for ten years and received his diamond badge in 1983. He
now owns a 1949 Piper Clipper. His bird photography has been included in a
number of books and CD's.  Eight of his frog and toad images are included in
the recently published book, The Frogs and Toads of North America, by Lang
Elliott.  His astrophotography has appeared in Astronomy magazine.

                       MAP RESOURCES