[TN-Bird] N. Saw-whet Owl

  • From: Arthur_McDade@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 11:57:15 -0500

Sorry for the late posting, but have been away from online connections
until today.

On Thursday evening, March 25, Park Ranger Carey Jones of the Great Smoky
Mountains NP and I heard a Northern Saw-Whet Owl in the forest near Indian
Gap on the Clingmans Dome Road in the park (this road is closed to public
use until April 1st--Ranger Jones was doing an owl survey outing along the
road prior to its spring opening). We heard the owl at 8:12 PM (ET) just
north of the interpretive sign at Indian Gap. The bird was not seen, but it
vocalized periodically over the next twenty minutes.

We attempted to locate N. Saw-Whets at other pull-outs along the Clingmans
Dome Road, with no success.

As mentioned above, the Clingmans Dome Road will open to the public on
April 1st. For good information about the Norhern Saw-Whet Owl in the
Smokies, check out Dr. Fred Alsop's Smoky Mountains bird book.

Arthur McDade
Wartburg, TN