[tn-bird] Murfreesboro YC Night-Herons/Bad News, Good News

  • From: BEAMERWITT@xxxxxxx
  • To: TN-BIRD@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 22:49:41 EDT

The nest I have been monitoring at Oaklands Mansion across from the bridge
has been abandoned.  There was a bird on the nest this weekend each day, but
not since, and no sign of babies.  There is extensive disturbance from the
wetland improvement project with active chain saws, trimmers, bobcats,
mulchers, etc. but the birds seem to ignore all this.  I think that probably
the egg or eggs just failed to hatch for whatever reason.  On a more positive
note, 2 or 3 adults are still in the area and one was observed starting
another nest near the top of the concrete steps between the spring and
mansion.  I'll keep an eye on this effort, perhaps there will be young birds
later this year after all.

Terry Witt
Murfreesboro Tn 37130