[TN-Bird] Mottled Ducks & photo

  • From: <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 15:55:30 -0500

9/30/05
Eagle Creek flats & Paris Landing; Henry Co.

I wound up having to go back to Paris today, so since I was halfway there anyway, I ran back to KY Lake.

The Lake is down tremendously from yesterday. Pretty much the same mix that was at Eagle Creek yesterday. I decided to walk/wade out to the small island that blocks the view of part of the open water that the ducks feed in. The Mottled's were resting with about a dozen Mallards on the recently exposed expanse of mud. I was able to get a better shot from this vantage point, though the ducks moved back out in the water and fed shortly after I got there. There was still 1 Franklin's Gull in the area as well.

While I was there some of the Pintail and Blue-winged Teal took off and looked to fly into the Little Eagle Creek area, which feeds into this same bay from the north. If the birds aren't here, this might be another place to look. There is a campground at Little Eagle Creek, I often stop in and see if they mind if I glance out at the flats here, and they never mind. I wouldn't drive in if I couldn't talk to anyone however.

A brief look at Paris Landing had the Lesser Black-backed and a Laughing Gull on the island, but fewer birds were there than yesterday.

I very quick stop back by Eagle Creek on the way home still had the Mottled's and Mallards feeding just off the flats.

The latest, and best, photo of the Mottled is at:
http://www.pbase.com/image/50049159

This is the bird that I'm assuming to be the male, it is slightly darker overall, with a solid olive/yellow bill. The bill usually has more of a yellowish cast, but came out pretty green in my photos. The female was asleep the little time I had to shoot before the birds moved.

Good Birding!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN
birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.pbase.com/mctodd

TN-Bird Net is owned by the Tennessee Ornithological Society Neither the society(TOS) nor its moderator(s)