[TN-Bird] Mottled Duck Again

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 18:31:39 EDT

October 5, 2003
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN
After searching all morning for the Mottled Duck at the pits, I finally
located the bird on the way out of the area off of Riverport Rd. The bird is
still
feeding with a large group of Mallards and was seen in the large open water
just east of the Corps of Engineers location on the south side of Riverport.
The
bird was hard to pick out as the group was feeding in and out of the
vegetation and there is no way to get very close at this point. I did manage to
get a
couple of photos.

There was a movement of ducks over night, as today I added 2 Ring-necked
Ducks, 1 Pintail and 3 Wigeon while looking for the Mottled. I had one group of
71
White Pelicans today and there was a slow steady passing of raptors. Two
Peregrines were tallied as one immature motored by without much of a look at
the
wind birds below.

 Another adult Peregrine was hunting over on Presidents Island and keeping
the pigeons upset all morning. I went over to the Island at 1:30 to see if I
could get a shot as the bird kept perching on one of the structures and that is
when I found the duck.

Evidently the peregrine had the Eurasian Collared-Doves all shook up also
because they had grouped up into three huge flocks. I left the island with a
count of 473+EUCD. That tops the 174, my previous high that we counted one day
in
east Memphis. Are there any larger concentrations in Tennessee?

The shorebird numbers were down again today although the numbers of Wilson's
Snipe doubled over night from 1 to 2;o)

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA