[TN-Bird] Morning Walk (30 Dec), Loggerhead Shrike larder

  • From: Jared Barnes <esculentus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 12:56:56 -0500

Yesterday morning, I walked the local rural roads and had many of the usual
winter regulars.  Highlights included spotting a Red-headed Woodpecker
before I even left our front yard (they are uncommon here) and a Loggerhead
Shrike within half a mile of our house.  After spotting it, I found
evidence of a larder—two rodents impaled on sticks along the fence row.
 We've had them around, but it's the first one I've seen this close to the
house.

Cheers,
Jared Barnes
Obion County, TN