[TN-Bird] More thoughts on the possible Pine Grosbeak

  • From: FINCH64@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 15:12:26 EST

I keep looking at the feeder and the size of the bird that was sitting there
some hours ago. I myself can't justify a bird the size of a Pine Grosbeak
being able to get all of it's length up on that narrow tray with it's tail
hidden
from my view sitting facing the outside of the feeder. I just talked to Terry
Witt and he said the white crossbars on the wings are unmistakeable on a Pine
Grosbeak. Those markings did not jump out at me at all but the bird was facing
me directly most of the time. I mean like right straight at me. It just
stared at me barely moving. I keep thinking, hoping it will come back so I can
get
it on film. I'm beginning to think it was magnified in my binoculars and was
probably only a Purple Finch. The beak WAS rounded and had some bulk to it. It
was definitely noticeably hooked - like a parrot's beak. I know I saw that
clearly. But I guess maybe some Purple Finches may have a kind of hook to their
beaks? More than anything it's the size that really just throws me in reference
to it being a Pine Grosbeak. It just didn't seem big enough from what I've
seen in pictures. The chest and belly were very plump though. I really think it
would have taken at least two hands to hold this bird. That it would be
difficult to get one of my hands completely around a bird as plump as it was.
Terry said there are alot of Purple Finches in the area right now. He told me
to call him if I see it again. And I have both cameras ready to get it on
film. The video camera has a better zoom capability than the digital.

So the size not being as large as I think it should have been; the white
crossbars on the wings not being evident; and mostly just the fact that Pine
Grosbeaks in Tennessee are practically non-existent is making me lean toward it
being a Purple Finch which I've never seen before.

But I'll keep the cameras ready and keep the list posted on any updates on
the bird whatever it is/was.

Keep in mind I'm the guy who a few years ago who thought I had a possible
Bewick's Wren in my yard. Got the bird on film, took the film to one of the
NTOS
meetings only to be told it was just a Carolina Wren. Massively embarrassing
to say the least. Don't want to repeat that experience ever again. lol

For any officers of the NTOS who might want to know for future reference,
Terry was glad I called because he asked me if I would help him with the Spring
Count and I said I would. I think that's what sometime in May?

I apologize for posting this to the list before more verification of the
bird. I was thinking in my mind honestly of the Blue Grosbeak and having read
that
IT was more abundant in these areas in the past. It's tax time and it's
hectic here and I didn't even think of what I was posting when I even put the
words
"Pine Grosbeak" in my posting.

But if it turns out that it is one - we will all be very happy indeed. It's
that parrot bill that keeps me wondering what else it could have been. Rounded
not conical like smaller finches. Oh well, hopefully <knock on wood> it will
come back.

Oh, also I just remembered Terry said Purple Finches have noticeable streaks
on their chests. This bird was solid burgundy red on it's chest all the way
down to its belly. Only some white way underneath on it's belly.. No streaks at
all.

Barry Jernigan
Murfreesboro, Rutherford Co, TN