[TN-Bird] More interesting birds!

  • From: "Ron Hoff" <aves7000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-bird" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 21:58:20 -0400

TN-birders,

This morning Mike Nelson joined Dollyann and me on a trip up to the top of
Cross Mountain in Campbell Co. to look for a recently reported Black-billed
Cuckoo.

We went to Caryville, just off I-75 N, and took the only road through town and
up the mountain, going past the “bench” on the left where we normally look for
Golden-winged Warbler (GWWA). We got to the top of the road (the road actually
starts going down in elevation here) and turned right onto a gravel road. We
went out this road about 1-2 miles to a place where there is an obvious sign
saying it’s the Cross Mountain Trailhead for the Cumberland Trail. There is a
small parking lot here and this is where we were told the Black-billed Cuckoo
was spotted and acted territorial a couple of weeks ago. Mike played a tape for
the cuckoo a few times but nothing responded.

We then drove further out the road about a mile and stopped to see what was
calling, when Mike heard a Veery. Veery has been recorded here in migration but
we have never heard that they were breeders in the area, as the elevation is
only 3176 ft. Apparently that is enough, as we heard 2 different Veeries
calling and saw one. The Breeding Bird Atlas of TN (Nicholson) states that
Veeries nest in the Cumberland Mtns. above 854 m (2818 ft.). The elevation here
is above that.

After some more trying for the cuckoo, we returned to the original stop by the
sign for the Cumberland Trail and tried one final time for the cuckoo. No
cuckoo but Mike heard what he thought was a Blue-winged Warbler (BWWA), but
when the bird showed itself, it turned out to be a GWWA instead, singing a BWWA
song. Refer to an email on TN-bird earlier this afternoon. A link to Mike’s
recording is here: http://www.xeno-canto.org/137639.

Although we haven’t birded this area all that much, we have been up here a few
times over the years and this was the first time we have ever had a GWWA up on
top. In addition to that, I managed to find a gorgeous male Blackburnian
Warbler that eluded Dollyann and Mike. While we have had Blackburnian Warbler
at about this elevation over at Fork Mountain in Anderson Co., we have never
had them at this location.

So 3 interesting sightings on top of old Smoke.....oops, Cross Mountain, where
in the past we have not seen them.

Great birding,

Ron Hoff & Dollyann Myers
Clinton, TN