[TN-Bird] More interesting backyard bird activity

  • From: Lynne Davis <lynnedavis865@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 17:40:46 -0400

Over the winter, we discovered that using hot pepper-infused suet was the
only way to keep the coons from stealing it all. We found a solid suet log
that comes with its own "stem" for hanging. It's about 2.5 inches in
diameter and 6 inches long. It is the rage of the backyard. We have seen
the expected birds on it, like Downy and Red-Bellied Woodpeckers, as well
as Chickadees and Titmice. However, everyone else wants to try it, too.  So
far, we have seen Brown Thrashers, Carolina Wrens, Cardinals, and Blue Jays
all pecking away.

Yesterday, after the coon had gobbled up most of some sunflower seed on the
garden wall, a male Indigo Bunting spent a number of minutes gleaning the
scraps. When a male Cardinal (easily three times his size) landed near him,
he flew up in the Cardinal's face with feet extended, as if to say, "I
found it first."

Lynne Davis
Seymour, Sevier County