[TN-Bird] More Ivory-billed Woodpecker stuff

  • From: "David Aborn" <David-Aborn@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-Bird" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 16:04:39 -0400

Just some more information regarding going to see the woodpeckers. =
According
to the US Fish and Wildlife Service website, the 5,000 acre area where =
the
woodpecker was seen IS CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC! Access will be given only =
researchers. I know I am echoing what has already been eloquently said =
by
many other people, and I recognize that 99% of all birders are =
responsible
people, but please do not let your excitement cloud your judgment. I =
hate to
be blunt, but your chances of seeing the birds right now are slim; a =
team of
researchers spent 15 months in the area and only had 7 sightings. There =
is
much we do not know about these birds. Researchers need time to =
determine
how many birds there are, how well they are reproducing, what their =
habitat
and food requirements are, etc. We have one chance at recovery, so =
please do
not jeopardize it. The Operation Migration staff can tell you many =
stories
about how people, both those that were well intentioned and those that =
were
ignorant, have threatened the success of the Whooping Crane =
reintroduction.
A little patience now will be rewarded in the long run.

David Aborn
Chattanooga, TN