[tn-bird] Missouri Bird Books

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 07:15:55 EST

Wallace,

There are actually two books on Missouri birds out. I pass along a message
from another list serve.

(1) The one advertised in the Department of Conservation link is Birds IN
Missouri, by Brad Jacobs. This is a brand-new book for the general public,
profusely illustrated in color, and very accurate as far as it goes. It
gives a picture of each regular Missouri bird, a color map indicating its
occurrence in the state (whether summer, winter, permanent, or migrant, and
whether common or uncommon), and a paragraph of text about it. It also has
a lot of introductory and appendix and sidebar material about birds and
birding, including a copy of the full Annotated Check-list of Missouri
Birds that we refer to so often here on MoBird (you can also see that list
on line at www.mobirds.org). So this book is an excellent reference and
will be especially helpful to people who are in the first few years of
learning their birds. It does not depict some of the really rare birds that
have visited Missouri -- so it's not a complete treatise. It is listed at
$30.00.

2) Birds OF Missouri, by Mark Robbins and David Easterla, is the only
complete scientific account of the state's birds. Its purpose is to list
every species that has ever occurred in the state, with an authoritative,
carefully researched description of when and where it occurs (or used to),
by season. For birds that are not here year-round, it lists the earliest
and latest dates of occurrence, highest numbers recorded, and such. The
introduction, again, has a lot of interesting material about our state and
its bird life. Not being a "coffee-table" book, it is spare and spartan in
its look, with just a few color illustrations of a few notable species.
Because it was published 10 years ago, some of the accounts are a bit out
of date now (e.g., many of the early and late dates have been exceeded),
and there are a few species on our list now that were not there in 1992
(like Curlew Sandpiper, Glaucous-winged Gull, and Smew). But overall it's
still the gold standard, and it's not likely to be revised for several more
years at least. As Susan Hazelwood has noted, its original price was about
$60 but it is now on sale for $40 from U. of Missouri Press.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA
Bartlett Tenn.