[TN-Bird] Migration behind the Front + Blk-hd Grosbeak

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 08:11:28 EDT

Oct. 10, 2009
Dyer - Lake Co. TN

I woke to my newest owl species at the house, my 4th species here on the 2
acres and the first Barred Owl  in 30 years but also woke to the high
yelping of SNOW GEESE my first of the year passing south. This combo and the
weather demanded a Reelfoot Run.

The best birds of the day did not show themselves till late afternoon but
things were interesting all day. The first of 1719+ White Pelicans was a
flock  of 450+ swirling over the I-155 bridge in Dyer Co. In Dyer, I counted
695+  (450-130-115) and finished with 1024+ in Lake Co,
(16-21-73-100-75-275-77-160-90-4-6-17-110) with most of the Lake Co. birds over
 Tiptonville Bar.

A barrow pit off of I-155 and the Great River Road in Dyer Co, offered up
one batch of resting pelicans but also held 19 Long-billed Dowitchers, 1
Stilt  Sandpiper and 24 Least plus Killdeer, Shovelers and Blue-winged Teal. In
the  afternoon another pool contained a few new migrant ducks, 3 male and 1
female  Ring-necked and a single Ruddy. Also in Dyer, 3 Coopers and my
first of  season calurus Red-tailed Hawk. Later in Lake Co. I watched a
Sharp-shinned give  an immature Cooper's all it could handle over the field
road
into Island 13,  plus an immature Harrier.

The river is on a rise and will not stop until it reaches 20 foot at
Tiptonville sometime this week. Tiptonville Bar in Lake Co, had an impressive
21
Bald Eagles ( 19 immature and 2 adults) by far the most I've ever seen
together  there. They did not deter, 3 first year LAUGHING GULLS, 11 FRANKLIN'S
or the 9  Ring-bills from feeding along the creeping waters edge. Between my
first and  last visits two sand bars had gone under. The only other geese
for the day was a  string on Snows and Blues over the river at Jolly's
Landing. No shorebirds there  just Shovelers and Blue-winged Teal.

The most numerous birds through the day were everywhere the hordes of
Rough-winged Swallows with just a few Tree thrown into the mix. They literally
covered Reelfoot Lake from one end to the other. There were a few scattered
Ring-billed Gulls and 5 Forster's Terns all seen on the southwest part of
the  lake. Between the heat waves and the Samburg Duck Calling contest going
on, not  much was found on the lake.

The best birds came out with the sun which showed up after 4 PM and the sky
 was crisp blue. Back by Island 13, I found 2 Sanderling playing along the
edge  of the upper end of the island and flushed a BLACK-BILLED CUCKOO from
the Kudzu  Vines which perched up and preened in the low willows. There were
still no  shorebirds in the big lake in the afternoon just a few Great
Egrets and Great  Blues.

The best bird of the day came about a mile north of Mud Lake sitting in the
 top of a snag just off the levee. Preening in the sun in the scope, was a
first  year male BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK, it has been over 15 years since I
had seen one  in TN, but it sure capped off a fine day of migration!!
Good Birding  !!!

Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6300 Memphis-Arlington Road
Bartlett, TN  38135
http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/
What is this feathered thing that  lifts my heart to the heavens.

                       MAP RESOURCES