[TN-Bird] Migrants arrive Costa Rica very early

  • From: Dev Joslin <devjoslin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Bird listserve <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 15:03:56 -0600

Had my first Black-and-white Warbler of the "fall" season today (Aug 17), a
week earlier than our previous record (female or first fall male).  But it was
not the first fall North American migrant to arrive here in the northern
mountains of Costa Rica.  Louisiana Waterthrush showed up on July 26 (also a
new earliest "fall" record for that species for us here), and Western
wood-pewee showed up on August 4.

Interestingly, the nearest breeding grounds for both warbler species is East
Texas.  Maybe they just wanted to get out of the AWFUL heat and drought there
and come on down here to our cool mountains!

Dev Joslin
Monteverde, Costa Rica