[TN-Bird] Merlin, etc. (Greene Co., TN)

  • From: Don Miller <raincrow@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol-Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Butternuts <butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 23:18:35 -0500

December 19, 2004 [posting date: December 20]
Greene County, TN

I spent about four hours in western Greene County yesterday morning as
the weather was turning colder, specifically looking for field birds but
hoping also for waterfowl and raptors.  There isn't much waterfowl
habitat in the area where I birded, and I was unable to get to some of
the best of it before running out of time and relatively decent weather,
but I did find a few ducks and geese and had good luck on a number of
other species.  At dusk, I also added about a half hour of time in
eastern Greene County near Tusculum.  Here's a quick summary of the most
notable birds:

Great Blue Heron (3);
Canada Goose (85);
Wood Duck (4 males) (this species is often hard to find in Greene County
during winter);
Mallard (60);
Gadwall (2);
Green-winged Teal;
Northern Harrier (7);
Red-tailed Hawk (8);
Merlin (adult male at intersection of Glades Road and Bible Road);
American Kestrel (10);
Killdeer (41);
Wilson's Snipe (5);
Ring-billed Gull (238, feeding in fields--high total for Greene County,
which has little prime habitat for this species);
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (2);
Red-headed Woodpecker (2 on Green Road, where a colony has been observed
for several years);
Hairy Woodpecker (2);
Eastern Phoebe;
Loggerhead Shrike;
Horned Lark (2);
Brown Creeper;
White-breasted Nuthatch (5);
Winter Wren;
Carolina Wren (35);
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (2);
American Pipit (55);
Yellow-rumped Warbler (2);
Palm Warbler (it's always interesting to see how often this species can
be found in winter);
Field Sparrow (16);
Song Sparrow (80);
Swamp Sparrow (37);