[TN-Bird] Memphis Area - Sunday Run

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 08:23:03 EST

Nov. 1, 2009
MS RV-TVA Lake
Ensley - Robco Lake
Shelby Co. TN
Arkabutla Lake
Tunica-DeSoto-Tate Co. MS

The Mississippi River is on a steady rise that might take it to near flood
stage this week. It was choked with foam and debris plus 21 American White
Pelicans hugging the far bank holding in the willow trees. Two strings of
DC Cormorants going south and high flying raptors following suit. Looking
into a  clear blue sky can be almost painful but the raptors were there: 9
Red-tails, 3  Red-shouldered, 2 Kestrels, a Harrier and an adult Bald Eagle
were seen,  appearing as distant specks, slowly IDing themselves and passing
south.

At TVA Lake, I did not find the Eared Grebes that were last seen Friday but
 3 Greater Scaup ( 2 females and a first year male) were first of season
for  me. Also present were Pied-bills, DC Cormorants, Coots and good numbers
of  Gadwall. The high parade of raptors continued with 5 Red-tails, a single
adult  Broad-wing, 2 Kestrels, 3 Harrier and a low flying immature, resident
Bald  Eagle.

At the "Pits" slightly lower numbers of Least with only 1 Dunlin that I
could find, left over from the 9 earlier in the week. A single flyover Greater
 Yellowlegs added to the Killdeer made for only a 4 species Wind Bird list.
Mixed in with the Horned Larks, I found 9 Pipits for my first of  season.

Robco Lake had added a few more duck species with a Bufflehead,  3
Ring-neck and a male Hooded Merganser joining the 13 Lesser Scaup  and 200 plus
Ruddy Ducks. The Great Egrets were down to 28 birds and a flock of  180 feeding
DC Cormorants completed the growing wintering list.

In Tunica Co, MS, a few shorebirds were scattered in the wet fields, 18
Greater Yellowlegs, 2 Stilt Sandpipers, 3 Long-billed Dowitchers, 2 Dunlin,  a
few scattered Least, plus lots of Killdeer. No gull concentration  yet.

At Arkabutla Lake, the numbers of Forster's Terns down from last week's
high of 492, now only 392 counted on Sunday but FRANKLIN'S GULLS numbers were
up  to 57+ birds; many coming and going from a flock out from the Dam in
DeSoto Co.  Only 1 Herring Gull and a few dozen Ring-billed Gulls were joined
by 6  Bonaparte's. Thousands of White Pelicans contrasted with equal numbers
of DC  Cormorants. Also present were lines of Scaup and Gadwall with a male
and 3 hen  Buffleheads in the mix.

Good Birding  !!!
Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6300 Memphis-Arlington Road
Bartlett, TN  38135
http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/
What is this feathered thing that  lifts my heart to the heavens.

                       MAP RESOURCES