[TN-Bird] Meigs & Loudon Counties yesterday

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 08:11:57 -0800 (PST)

11/19/04

Hi folks,

Having watched the weather channel at midnight, I didn't think the
cranes would leave from Hiwassee yesterday. But I decided to bundle
Allan up and leave the house at 5am anyway.

As expected, the combination of fog and headwinds up high caused them
to cancel the flight, thus reducing the likelihood of seeing a
Whooper to nearly zero.  But it was worth the trip for the chance to
chat with the 30 or so folks who also came out (at least one from
Bristol and one from Atlanta, as well as locals and Chattanoogans)
and the Operation Migration folks made it worthwhile, too.  The good
troopers they are - as well as good ambassadors - they came to the
gazebo to update us on this year's flight, share entertaining stories
of the last few years, give some news on the future of the program,
and answer questions.  They also had some nice items for sale, which
of course would benefit the cause.

After folks left, and the fog lifted, birding turned out to be pretty
good.  At the refuge, between 9:30 and 11 am I had the following:
Pied-billed Grebe
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
AMERICAN BLACK DUCK 2 (not common in east TN)
Ring-necked Duck - about 35 out in the lagoon
Gadwall
Canada Geese - only visible on the refuge looking down from Cherokee
Removal Park (CRP)
Mallard
Hooded Merganser - about 35 in the lagoon, spread along the edges
Red-breasted Merganser - 4 in the lagoon, 6 on the river
American Wigeon - 2 on the river, from CRP
Bald Eagle - 1 adult from CRP
Northern Harrier - one adult male flew over the "sparrow pond)
Red-shouldered Hawk - saw one, heard 2
American Kestrel - 1 male on the farm
Turkey Vulture 3
American Coot - about 50, from CRP
Sandhill Crane - about 100, in small groups spread throughout
Killdeer - at least 40 on the mudflats from CRP (a few unidentified
other shorebirds were also there, I'm guessing Pecs)
BONAPARTE'S GULL - one over the lagoon.  First I've had in the area
Ring-billed Gull 3 or 4
Mourning Dove - only about 10.  I usually have many here
Belted Kingfisher
Northern Flicker
Downy Woodpecker
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Eastern Phoebe - at least 4
American Crow
Blue Jay
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
Carolina Wren
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Eastern Bluebird
American Robin
Northern Mockingbird
Brown Thrasher - one just outside the refuge
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Northern Cardinal
Field Sparrow - on the farm
Song Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Eastern Towhee
Red-winged Blackbird (several large mixed blackbird flocks)
Common Grackle - including one with some white primaries on left wing
Eastern Meadowlark
American Goldfinch

Loudon County:
On the way home I stopped at Fort Loudon Dam and Lenoir City Park,
where I saw:
Pied-billed Grebe
Great Blue Heron
Canada Goose
Mallard
Cooper's Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Black Vulture - a large flock has been here for a few months, hanging
out along the dam, up on the high-tension wire staunchions, landing
on my tripod, carrying away small pets and children...
American Coot - there are some that are hanging out with the
MOQH(Mallards of Questionable Heritage) and are obviously fed - they
walked up to my car as I pulled up!  Good pictures of those big feet.
Ring-billed GUll
Mourning Dov
Turkey Vulture
Double-crested Cormorant
Rock Pigeon
Belted Kingfisher
Northern Flicker
Downy Woodpecker
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Eastern Phoebe
American Crow
Blue Jay
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
Carolina Wren
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Eastern Bluebird
American Robin
Northern Mockingbird
European Starling
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Northern Cardinal
Song Sparrow

Good day!
Charlie

=====
Charlie Muise, Naturalist near
Great Smoky Mountains National Park

"Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of cancer."  -Edward Abbey