[TN-Bird] Maryville Archilochus hummer

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Chris Sloan <chris.sloan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 19:20:40 -0800 (PST)

Hi folks,

Grrr.  I had half this long email written and hit the wrong dang
button and lost it!  Here goes again.

Yesterday I went to the Tallent's house in Maryville to see the
hummer.  At 10:45, about 15 minutes after I arrived, the bird flew
in.  I spent the next 45 minutes watching it.  It was quite
cooperative and I was able to view it extensively as it flew,
perched, hoovered, fed, and even appeared to hawk insects (though it
seemed much too cold for there to be any flying...)  I saw it in lots
of different light, from lots of different angles.  Often I was quite
close to it.  Here are my notes:

At first I wasn't sure it was an Archilochus, because it has a lot
more cinnamon on the belly than any of my references show for either
Ruby-throated (RTHU) or Black-chinned (BCHU).  But I was able to rule
out everything else in my Peterson, Sibley and Sheri L. Williamson's
Peterson Field Guide: Hummingbirds of North America.

Bill:  100% black at all angles.  Didn't seem longer than I'm
accostomed to with RTHU, nor did it seem particularly decurved.
Pretty straight.  But I see that some birds have shorter bills than
others with a species.
Score one point to inconclusive.

Gorget:  at least 4-5 very colored feathers at the very center, and
some spangling.  I watched the gorget a whole lot after giving up on
morphology of retrices and primaries, which are supposed to be better
marks.  I saw this darn bird in great light from really close.  I saw
it from below, from the side, and even briefly from above.  I could
not do anything with those 2 marks with the lack of experience I have
to bear.  At no time did I see any color other than black from those
central gorget feathers.
Score 1/2 point to BCHU.

Back:  all green. No buff feather edges.

Top of head:  seemed less green on forecrown, but I'm not sure I
could call it gray.  A definite difference, but I can't say if it's
enough difference.
Score another point to inconclusive

tail:  Green dorsal surface.  Notched, but I can't say if it was
deeply enough so to be a RTHU or not.  R3-5 had what I'd call
extensive white tips.  R2-5 had a dark sub-terminal band, but I'm not
sure I could call it black or even very dark.  I never got a good
look at either R1.

These things led me to believe adult female bird, but I can't rule
out an immature male.  Just seems like too much white on the tail for
it.

Behavior:  pumped it's tail a lot when hovering, but I'm not sure it
was more than RTHU does.  It appeared to hawk insects, but I thought
it was too cold for any to be flying!  I never saw it chase anything.
 It never sat at the same perch more than a minute, but often sat in
one place for 20-40 seconds.  Usually at the top of a 15-foot
ornamental cherry, or the top of a 30-foot deciduous tree I never
identified.  It came to the feeder often, and usually stayed about 10
- 15 seconds.
Score another for inconclusive.

head:  the white postocular spot didn't seem as bold as I'm used to.
There was some contrast with the white collar, but I haven't paid
enough attention to RTHU to say if this means anything.  Cheeks were
medium gray.  Lores gray.
Score another to Idunno

underside:  off-white to dirty-white or light gray.  No marking.
belly as above.

So I'm leaning very, very, very slightly towards Black-chinned.  But
that may just be because I want it to be!

I hope Chris or Fred or someone can get out and band the bird.  And
I'd LOVE to assist.

BTW, while I was there, I saw 3 Purple Finches.  I also saw a cat
(NOT belonging to the Tallent's) eating a White-throated Sparrow.
Ann lamented the presence of this cat when I met her last week.
Apprarently belongs to a neighbor, as it has a collar.

Charlie

=====
Charlie Muise, Senior Naturalist
Now living in Maryville, TN
Still working in Great Smoky Mountains
National Park

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm"
Ralph Waldo Emerson