[TN-Bird] MacGillivray's still there--thanks, Jan

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 10:43:57 EST

At exactly & AM today when I arrived at the bridge at Radnor and began my
attempt at imitating the chip of the MacG to which I'd been listening on my
drive
over, there was a sudden movement in the big green bush at the west side of
the south end of the bridge.  Very quickly, the little fellow emerged out to
the end of a bare twig on the plant, and I knew I had the warbler pictured on
Chris' URL's.  He then flew across to a grassy/weedy area on the east side of
the south end of the bridge.  He flitted in and out a couple of times as if
saying, "Follow me, follow me."  I followed as silently
as possible as he perched on top of a weed right up in the open giving me a
great view.  He then moved to a leaning goldenrod which is just west of where
the white pick-up truck was parked where he stayed right on top for me to study
as he "rode" the goldenrod up and down like a seesaw.  He then flew back into
the bushes down toward the dam, and I didn't see him again--then.

Just after he had disappeared from sight, I went back to the bridge and was
joined by Tarcila & Richard Fox.  At 7:13 AM, the Mac Warb appeared in front of
all of us down below the dam to the west of the bridge.  Nice looks were had
by the three of us.  A little later, Jay Desgrosellier appeared and shortly
found the bird along the lake shore in the grassy area just south of where the
land is cleared all the way down to the water in front of the ranger's cabin.

As we had errands to do and work to finish, Tarcila, Richard and I prepared
to leave just as Elizabeth O'Connor showed up to walk the lake.  Mac Warb
didn't show for her before we left, but she saw it bathing yesterday and was
going
to walk the lake trail anyway.

Thank you, Jan, for such a great find and for sharing the information with
those of us who needed this lifer.  I think I actually had a breeding male in
Colorado when I attended University of Colorado in the summer of 1963, but I
have lost some of my records, so I can add this one back to a new life list
that
I am confirming.  You are appreciated.

Cheers & Prayers,
Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN (Charlotte Park near the old Cleece's Ferry ramp)

                 jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx