[TN-Bird] MS RV-Ensley-Benwood Lake Weekend

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, ARBIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 08:48:30 -0400 (EDT)

Oct. 7-8-9, 2011

I'll start with a summery of Benwood Lake, AR, evidently the  shorebird
capital of the South this week. TWENTY species of Wind Birds were seen  at this
remnant of an old lake in Crittenden Co, Arkansas and it is usually  dry by
this time of the year but may be pumped up for hunting season. Two short
trips ( it is close to a job site I'm working on) Friday peaked my interest
with  a flyby RED PHALAROPE in the morning and seen again in the late
afternoon  feeding. Also present were 11 Avocet and a nice collection of
shorebirds, ducks  and Egrets.

I spent most of the day Saturday and half of the day Sunday,  trying to get
close to an interesting immature plover that exhibited most  of the field
traits and color one looks for on a Pacific Plover. A probable lost  cause
but still you have to look into such, photos were taken and I'll post some
findings soon.

The numbers and diversity of shorebirds at one  location for October was
pretty spectacular. High numbers over the period  varied as things came and
left, especially due to Merlin and Peregrine  visits each day plus Harriers
and a Bald Eagle. Here are  the top numbers counted over the 3 days: 1
Black-bellied Plover  all three days, up to 7 Golden Plovers including the GOLD
job
both Saturday and  Sunday, 1 Semipalmated Plover Saturday, Killdeer were
spread out on the lake and  in the surrounding harvested fields, 2
Black-necked Stilts Saturday afternoon,  11 Avocet all 3 days, 1 Greater
Yellowlegs, 24
Lesser Yellowlegs, 1 Spotted was  flushed Sunday on a walk around, 3
Sanderling, 1 Western Sandpiper in basic  plumage Friday and Saturday, 1,500 to
2,000 Least Sandpipers with highest  numbers Saturday, 4 White-rumped
Sandpipers and a single Baird's all 3 days, 28  Pectoral Sandpipers, 1 molting
immature Dunlin Saturday and Sunday, 11  Stilt Sandpipers, 2 Long-billed
Dowitchers, 2 Wilson's Snipe and the Red  Phalarope Friday plus the curious
plover!!

Also present was a Franklin's Gull, seen on the lake  Saturday but it had
pulled up on the bank Sunday and was evidently taking  its last breath when I
approached it that morning. Benwood Lake has produced quite a variety of
Great birds over the last  couple of weeks including a Sabine's Gull!! a
Nelson's Sparrow on Saturday  and a LeConte's in the Spangle Grass on Sunday.

The sandbars at Memphis were drastically rearranged by the  flood and have
produced little in stop overs. Ensley still holds on to  Black-bellied
Whistling Ducks of all ages but they will be pulling out soon and  Lots of
Least
Sandpipers to look through, yesterday yielded only 8 species of  shorebirds.

Jeff R.  Wilson / TLBA
6300 Memphis-Arlington Rd.
Bartlett, TN. 38135_  http://WWW.pbase.com/ol_coot/_
(http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/)
What is this feathered  thing that lifts my heart to the  heavens.