[TN-Bird] Long-Tailed Duck in Bellevue (Davidson Co) Update

  • From: Joshua Stevenson <ifihadastick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2014 17:42:59 -0500

For those of you who are not on the Tennessee Birding facebook page, here is
the update I posted on there earlier today.
Around 1:00pm today, Spencer Coffey and I dropped off the Long-tailed Duck off
at an animal hospital nearby in Bellevue. The Walden's puddle rehab folks know
about her and should be arranging for pick up. When we arrived I did not see
the duck at all, then after a quick perimeter walk around the pond I came upon
her on the steepest part of the bank about 15ft up from the water. Poor thing
had line wrapped around her neck and wings, which we relieved her of. After
that I had to hold her pretty tightly as she was moving quite a bit, which is a
good sign . She also moved around quite a bit in the box, which to me is a good
sign. We were not certain if she was injured before the fishing line or not, so
hopefully she will check out well!
Joshua StevensonNashville, TN