[TN-Bird] Long tailed duck Knox Co

  • From: "Sumrall, Colin D" <csumrall@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 15:50:01 +0000

Here is the rest of the information.

The bird was in the water from about 7:50 to 8:00 AM January 9, 2014 at the
Concord Park--Boat Launch.

I had a good look with a scope for 10 minute with early morning sun to the
side.  It was off in the distance when I first saw it and my first thought was
a scoter because of all of the recent reports.  As it swam closer - getting to
within 100 meters - it was very clearly a long tailed duck. Of course it flew
when I ran to the car to get camera.   The Identification was unambiguous. It
had a dark bill.  The front of head, nape, back of head and back of neck were
light. A large dark patch was present on the  lower back side of head giving
the white on the front of the head a diamond look. Dark breast and wings. I
have seen species before in Texas in winter.  Sorry I could not get photos. I
do not know which direction it flew only that it was gone when I got back to my
scope.

Colin Sumrall
Knoxville, TN
Knox County

Colin D. Sumrall PhD
Assistant Professor of Paleobiology
Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences
1412 Circle Dr.
The University of Tennessee
Knoxville, TN 37996-1410
USA