[TN-Bird] Long Day in the Field (Greene/Cocke Co)

  • From: Robert Biller <merlin42@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 22:57:57 -0400

Hello Tennessee and Bristol Area Birders,

Just returned from a long day in the field with Tom McNeil, JT McNeil, Don
Holt, and Dianne Draper.  We birded, butterflied, and Dragoned two select
location in Greene County and Cocke County heavily today - Paint Creek (Greene)
and Weaver's Bend (Cocke).  It proved to be a wonderful day with some FOY
(first of the year) species for lots and ended with a life bird for me.  Here
is the complete list of birds from each area):

Paint Creek (Greene County) - we walked about 1.5 miles in and returned the
same way.

(some birds were while driving, but most were in Paint Creek and all in Greene
County)

Canada Goose (driving)
Great Blue Heron (driving)
Black Vulture (driving)
Turkey Vulture
Killdeer (driving)
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Downy Woodpecker 2
Northern Flicker 1
Pileated Woodpecker 1
Eastern Phoebe 4
Blue-headed Vireo 6
Blue Jay 3
American Crow 1
Carolina Chickadee 3
Tufted Titmouse 1
Carolina Wren 1
American Robin 2
Gray Catbird 1 (driving)
Northern Mockingbird (driving)
European Starling ++ (driving)
Northern Parula 3
Black-throated Green Warbler 10
Black and White Warbler 1
Lousiana Waterthrush 2 (great looks at one at the parking area)
Eastern Towhee 2
White-throated Sparrow 1
Northern Cardinal 1
Red-winged Blackbird ++ (driving)
Eastern Meadowlard 1 (driving)
BREWER'S BLACKBIRD (driving - .2 miles north of Turner Lane) ~20 [my life bird]
Common Grackle ++ (driving)

Weaver's Bend (Cocke  County)

Wood Duck 2
Great Blue Heron 1
Broad-winged Hawk 1
Rock Pigeon 2
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Pileated Woodpecker 1
Eastern Phoebe 3
Blue-headed Vireo 5
American Crow 1
Northern Raven 1
Purple Martin ++ (driving)
Tree Swallow 2
Barn Swallow 1
Carollina Chickadee 9
Tufted Titmouse 4
Carollna Wren 1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 2 (singing)
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 14
Black-throated Green Warbler 9
Pine Warbler 2
Black and White Warbler 2
Lousiana Waterthrush 1
Eastern Towhee 3
White-throated Sparrow 1
Northern Cardinal 2

Also of note we had about 8 Great  Blue Herons on nests along Highway 107)

Rob Biller
Elizabethton, TN