[TN-Bird] Leucistic Gadwall - female

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Robert_Wheat@xxxxxxx,Clayton_Ferrell@xxxxxxx, birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, albirds@xxxxxxxxxxx,ARBIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 17:55:28 EST

Jan. 25, 2004
Britton Ford Unit
Tenn. NWR
Henry Co. TN
I found a female leucistc Gadwall in the rain at Britton Ford on Sunday. I
got a few distant shots in the gloom. Leucism is seen quite frequently in
ducks;
I've seen Mallards, Shoveler, Wigeon and Ruddy among others with this dilute
plumage characteristic. I've also seen some shorebirds and passerines
exhibiting this plumage. The overall normal plumage patterns are visible to
some
degree, some more evident than others, but the plumage is paler and usually
takes
on a pale cream to pinkish buff hue.

In this bird, which was courted by many males indicating that blondes really
may have more fun, there was a hint of underlying patterns but only with good
scope views. When it was visible, the black and white pattern of the speculum
was the most prominent feature of near normal coloration. The shots show her
in comparison with a normal female Mallard, showing the difference in "giss"
and her surrounded by a few gentlemen callers.

I'll package 4 shots and forward them to anyone interested in the "Pretty in
Pink" Gadwall.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA