[tn-bird] Letter to Senators - copy

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 08:58:31 EDT

Sorry about that last attempt. It was not sent as an attachment which I never
do to a list but forwarded which works on Ark and KY lists.............

TN-ARK-KY-MS Birders

Here is a copy of a letter sent to our Senators in order to get them in line
on these appropriations. It might help if we all second this letter by
writing at this time. Thanks to ABA and Paul for all their efforts and
keeping us up to date on this issue........

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA
Bartlett Tenn.

Dear Birding and Wildlife-watching Friends,

Here is a letter that was sent a few days ago to all the Senators.

It's part of the effort to get the Senate's current appropriations figures
($60 million) to match the House's $100 million for FY 2003 State Wildlife
Grants. There were 26 organizations on the letter. They are listed below.

The Senate has yet to bring up the Interior Appropriations.

                    Paul J. Baicich
                    ABA
                    Conservation and Public Policy

________________

                July, 2002

Dear Senator:

We would like to express our appreciation for the inclusion of $60 million
for state wildlife conservation through the State Wildlife Grants (SWG)
program in the Fiscal Year 2003 Department of Interior and Related Agencies
Appropriations bill (S. 2708).  Although $60 million in SWG will
significantly help conserve declining wildlife, a stronger commitment from
the federal government is essential to address states' mounting
conservation needs, which is why we are pleased that the House bill (H.R.
5093) provides $100 million for SWG.  We encourage the Senate in S. 2708 to
match H.R. 5093's level of funding for SWG.

Funding the SWG program is one of the most effective proactive steps that
can be taken to prevent further wildlife declines.  Today there are more
than 1000 animals and plants that are federally threatened or endangered
and the SWG program enables state wildlife agencies to aggressively prevent
further wildlife declines.  These funds allow such conservation problems to
be addressed before becoming even more costly and they work to
simultaneously save wildlife and taxpayer dollars by avoiding the listing
of new endangered species.

With the first two years of these grants to state wildlife agencies in FY
2001 and FY 2002, the states have been able to initiate a number of
important wildlife conservation measures.  However, the Senate's FY 2003
$60 million funding for SWG represents a substantial reduction (29%) from
the $85 million enacted in FY 2002, and will significantly curtail the
effectiveness of many state programs that are just getting off the ground.

State wildlife conservation has the widespread support of the 3,000
organizations in the Teaming with Wildlife Coalition and of the 28 Senators
who signed letters to the Interior Appropriations Subcommittee asking for a
significant increase for FY 2003 SWG from the FY 2002 base of $85 million.

The American people have been long committed to protecting, restoring and
responsibly managing our wildlife heritage.  Yet we are now faced with
greater and more complex challenges as burgeoning demands on land and
resources threaten to edge out America's wildlife.  SWG provides essential
financial resources states require to effectively manage their diverse
array of wildlife and associated habitats. Thanks to your support, with
increased federal resources, the State Wildlife Grants will significantly
help our nation to address these challenges.

Sincerely,

[the following groups signed on:]

American Birding Association
American Eagle Foundation
American Fisheries Society
American Zoo and Aquarium Association
Bat Conservation International
Defenders of Wildlife
Endangered Species Coalition
Friends of the Earth
International Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies
Izaak Walton League of America
Mule Deer Foundation
National Audubon Society
National Wild Turkey Federation