[TN-Bird] Least Flycatcher

  • From: "David F. Vogt" <dfv@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 15:50:00 -0400

I spent the weekend birding the Whigg Meadow area of Cherokee National
Forest, Monroe Co. TN and had some interesting sightings.  Of most note was
at least one Least Flycatcher calling enthusiastically from a thicket of
small black birch trees on the slope above a small pond on the Meadow around
(4700ft).  Owen McConnell of NC had LEFL at this site in June 1981 and 1982
but, to my knowledge, they have not been recorded at this location since.
Other species of note were:  Canada Warbler, Common Raven, American
Woodcock,  Blackburnian Warbler, Black-throated Blue Warbler (with
fledglings), Blue-headed Vireo (w/fl), Dark-eyed Junco (w/fl), Ovenbird
(w/fl) , Winter Wren(2 locations) and many Veerys and Chestnut-sided
Warblers.  I also found it interesting that at this elevation a pair of
Eastern Bluebirds had a nest with 1 young in a nest box that was erected on
the meadow a couple of years ago.

Dave Vogt, Chattanooga, TN