[TN-Bird] Lauderdale Co.Surprises

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 23:29:27 EDT

May 31, 2004
Lauderdale Co. TN
This afternoon while winding my way back toward Memphis on the blue highways,
I ran across a Western Kingbird on highway 19, just west of Open Lake. Over
the years, I have had this species in this area along the river and their
presence in the spring and summer always pointed to the fact that they were
probably nesting in West, TN. I have never found a nest anywhere but in Memphis
but I
would not bet against them nesting in other remote and unbirdied areas along
the Mississippi.

I have a special fondness for Gray Fox and after having one spend some time
around my barn after the land was being developed in the area and getting to
watch it for quite a few days going about making a living, I feel blessed
anytime I get to view this elusive animal. On highway 87 near the Lower Hatchie
NWR,
this afternoon, something on the side of the road caught my eye. I backed up
and found myself looking at a very small Gray Fox hunkered down and doing a
poor job of hiding behind a tuff of roadside grass. As I fumbled with getting
my
camera out, I heard a sharp, squeaky bark. When I looked out into the field,
I saw an adult Gray Fox heading my way and another adult standing farther out
in the field, yelping. I took one photo of the barking adult. When I looked
back for the pup I saw it running toward the other adult which had now changed
direction with youngster in tow. I got off one photo as they ran into the
woods. They sure are special and exceptionally beautiful animals. The photos
are
not great but I'll share if you will drop me a line.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett, TN