[TN-Bird] Later Thursday Crane Update

  • From: Charles Murray <dro_1945@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN- BIRD <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 19:00:12 -0800 (PST)

There were no further sightings of the hooded crane after its 8:55 a.m. fly-by
at Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge in Meigs Co. at Birchwood. There were at least 43
visitors from 8 states at the refuge at various times today. Additionally, 4
more visitors were at the nearby Cherokee Removal Memorial Park where at least
3 endangered whooping cranes were seen on Hiwassee Island from the CRMP
overlook in the early morning, and 4 were seen late in the day.

I have been notified that my report of hooded crane sightings on Tuesday and
Wednesday was not completely accurate. I had reported that only one person saw
the bird's "fly-by" each morning. On Tuesday, a second observer told those of
us who were there that he saw a bird fly by that was
"definitely different," but that he got such a short look at it that he
"couldn't call it" [a hooded crane]. I've also been informed that at least 6
people saw the hooded crane's brief "fly-by" on Wednesday. I was not present on
Wednesday  at that time and am happy to report the correction of the account
that I was told later that day and posted that evening.

Charles Murray
Birchwood, TN