[TN-Bird] Kyker Bottoms Sparrow Festival

  • From: Meredith <meredith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 20:56:47 -0500

Decided to finally escape for a timely seed
collecting/birding expedition yesterday before the local
WMAs closed for the season.  Kyker Bottoms Wildlife
Management Area (in Monroe County I think, but very close to
Blount) between Hwys. 72 and 129, was full of sparrows, as
expected, obviously also enjoying the abundant field flower
seed crop.  Stopped at Chota WMA also, Monroe County next to
Tellico Lake, but had to focus more on seeds and so didn't
see anything remarkable in the feathered category.

Kyker (most from near the paved parking area):
Sparrows - in order of relative abundance:
White throat
Field
Swamp
Song
White-crowned
Vesper, 3-4
Savannah - not positive, brief look and call, but think I
saw 2
Henslow's ! - 1  I think it's the first I've ever
recognized.

Also:
Orange crowned warbler - 1 foraging on insects in aging
seedheads of goldenrods, etc.
Ruby-crowned kinglets
Cedar waxwings - 20 +/-
Northern Harrier - 1 gave me a great, long, close show
Red-tail - 1  must have had its breakfast since it never
flew in the hour or so I was there.
Am. Kestrel - 1
N. Bobwhite - one covey of about 8 - 10

Plenty of ducks in the air but the only ones I recognized
were:
Mallard
Wood
Gadwall
Canada Geese

Lots of the usuals of course, including plenty of chortling
bluebirds, numerous mockers, yellow-rumps, etc.

All-in-all, a good day for all of us seedy characters.

Meredith Clebsch
Loudon County, TN