[TN-Bird] Kookie cuckoo chase!!!!!

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 13:45:58 EDT

At approximately 6:30 AM today, I awakened to the sounds of screaming blue
jays in the neighborhood of Charlotte Park in West Nashville just a little east
of the old Cleece's Ferry Landing and boat ramp.  These birds were obviously
IN CHASE.  I scrambled out of bed as quickly as I could and got to my deck just
in time to see five jays chasing "a bird" out of a neighbor's tree to the
south of me.  Over beside I-40, another three blue jays took over the chase as
the bird was taking a breather before taking off again.  Those birds chased it
west toward the forested area that is rimmed by Cabot Drive, Annex Avenue,
Cleece's Ferry approach (AKA Old Hickory Blvd.) and the Cumberland River.  I
thought the excitement was over and had not been able to see the bird being
chased
well enough to identify it as it was being blocked by trees.  Just as I
started back into the house, I heard screaming blue jays headed in my direction
again.  I looked just in time to see them chase what appeared to be a cuckoo
into
a tree a couple of back yards to my west.  It barely got settled on a branch
before the five blue jays that had chased the previous bird from my yard went
to take over the chore started by the eight from over Cleece's Ferry way.  The
five chased the bird--a gorgeous yellow-billed cuckoo--into one of my trees
just at a great angle for me to see its lovely tail markings before the jays
pounced at it and the cuckoo chase began again.  This went on for three
circlings
of the same route with those kookie blue jays working as relay teams on this
chase.  There were always eight blue jays chasing from the boat ramp area to
my house, my five would fly to the neighbor's to take over, then three would
meet them over at I-40.  There may have been another team in between that I did
not see.  I have never witnessed this kind of "organization" among jays before
that I can recall, but it was most evident this morning that these jays had
this cuckoo (these cuckoos) on their list of birds they did not want in their
territory and were determined to rid the area of it.  It was a thrill to watch,
AND this was a new yard bird for me--one that I NEVER expected to see in this
yard.  I was also unaware that jays had animosity toward cuckoos, or if I
ever heard it, I forgot about it.  Is this common?

At 10:35 AM, I was at my kitchen sink when a smashingly beautiful male
ruby-throated hummingbird made a pass at my feeder without stopping to imbibe.
THINK it saw me in the window and got spooked causing it to fly off toward the
river.  I have not see it since, but this is my FIRST ever spring hummer.  I
have never had them before July in the past when they stop to feed as they
begin
their winter sojourn.

On Thursday and Friday, an adult Cooper's hawk flew through my yard and took
the identical flight path between the trees at about mid-tree in altitude
through five neighbors' back yards on both day.  Yesterday, it flew across my
deck
with a catch in its talons, then picked up its route at the Northeast corner
of my yard.  It has been a while since I saw any Cooper's, but I suspect this
was one of the older adult pair that seem to live in the area.  The last time
I saw my "Immy" Coop, it was turning color quickly into becoming an adult
Cooper's.  I suspect that it has, by now, been banished from the territory by
the
older birds.

At any rate, birding was good this morning.  Hope it just keeps on 'a keepin'
on!

Cheers & prayers,

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN