[TN-Bird] Knoxville CBC results - long

  • From: kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 20:31:49 -0500 (EST)

The Knoxville CBC was held on Saturday, 2 January 2010 in cold
temperatures which never got above freezing.  Despite the weather,
we had 44 observers in 23 parties (includes 3 feederwatchers in
2 parties) and found 92 species plus 2 during count-week.  The
total is down from the last couple of years when we broke 100
but is about average over the last 10 years.  We got most of the
expected species but did not find any rarities.  The number of
participants is a record high for this count.  Thanks to all
that participated!

The rarest species found was likely a pair of Common Goldeneye.

Several parties reported Bald Eagles.  Taking into consideration
reports from contiguous territories, I went with a total of 5
eagles (4 adult, 1 immature) which is a new record high.

Brown-headed Nuthatches were found in good numbers for the 8th
consecutive year since they were first found on this count in
2003.

A number of common species were found in record numbers (as might
be expected given the number of participants) including:
Canada Goose,
Mallard,
N Pintail (tie),
Great Egret (tie),
Black Vulture,
Bald Eagle,
Barred Owl,
Red-bellied Woodpecker,
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (73! which smashes the previous record of 51),
E Phoebe,
Tufted Titmouse,
Hermit Thrush (49 with 31 of those at Haw Ridge Park by Ed LeGrand),
and
Pine Warbler.

Fox Sparrows were found in good number (11), one short of the high
count.

American Woodcock was found for the 3rd consecutive year.

Blackbirds have become quite rare on this count so it was nice to
get a few Red-winged Blackbirds and even Brown-headed Cowbirds but
no Rusty Blackbirds (only 4 times in last 10 years) and Common Grackle
was limited to a single bird during count week (record for this species
is 100,000).

Loggerhead Shrike and Northern Bobwhite continue their decline and
neither were found this year.  Bobwhite has only been found 5 times
in the last 20 years and twice in the last 10 years.  There is one
known shrike territory in the circle but we missed it this year
despite the efforts of 3 parties specifically searching for it.

We also had no hummingbirds on the count for only the 5th time since
the first hummer (an Allen's) was counted 14 years ago.

Fish Crows were missed after 3 consecutive years on the count.

Few of the irruptive winter species were found with 1 Red-breasted
Nuthatch and 2 Purple Finches.  No Pine Siskins were reported after
last year's invasion.

Other notable misses include: Common Loon, Northern Harrier, and
Red-headed Woodpecker.

Full results follow.

Dean Edwards
compiler, Knoxville Christmas Bird Count
Knoxville, TN

Knoxville CBC
Saturday, 2 January 2010

Weather:        Bitter cold, partly cloudy with light flurries
High Temperature:       29F
Low Temperature:        21F
Precipitation:  light flurries
Winds:  0-10 mph, NE
Notes: No snow cover, large bodies of water open, only smallest ponds
frozen (was above freezing until Fri evening), 30.30 in Hg, 70% humidity

PARTY HOURS:
by foot 90.13 hrs
by car  39.8 hrs
   TOTAL (CBC)  129.93 hrs
owling  1.167 hrs
feeder watching 8.45 hrs
   GRAND TOTAL  139.55 hrs

PARTY MILES:
by foot 60.05 miles
by car  532.8 miles
   TOTAL (CBC)  592.85 miles
owling  30 miles
   GRAND TOTAL  622.85 miles

Start Time:     6:20
End Time:       18:00

PARTIES:        21 in field, 2 feederwatching
OBSERVERS:      41 in field, 3 feederwatching (see below for list)

SPECIES

  SWANS GEESE and DUCKS
  Canada Goose  1198
  Wood Duck     7
  Gadwall       58
  American Wigeon       8
  American Black Duck   6
  Mallard       694
  Northern Shoveler     4
  Northern Pintail      6
  Green-winged Teal     3
  Redhead       2
  Ring-necked Duck      29
     scaup sp.  15
  Bufflehead    3
  Common Goldeneye      2
  Hooded Merganser      61

  PARTRIDGES GROUSE and TURKEYS
  Wild Turkey   3

  GREBES
  Pied-billed Grebe     35
  Horned Grebe  4

  CORMORANTS
  Double-crested Cormorant      26

  BITTERNS and HERONS
  Great Blue Heron      145
  Great Egret   4
  Black-crowned Night-Heron     11

  AMERICAN VULTURES
  Black Vulture 127
  Turkey Vulture        62

  KITES HAWKS EAGLES and ALLIES
  Bald Eagle    5
      adult     4
      immature  1
  Sharp-shinned Hawk    2
  Cooper's Hawk 2
     Accipiter sp.      1
  Red-shouldered Hawk   6
  Red-tailed Hawk       43

  CARACARAS and FALCONS
  American Kestrel      14

  RAILS GALLINULES and COOTS
  American Coot 68

  CRANES
  Sandhill Crane        18

  PLOVERS and LAPWINGS
  Killdeer      133

  SANDPIPERS PHALAROPES and ALLIES
  Wilson's Snipe        8
  American Woodcock     1

  SKUAS GULLS TERNS and SKIMMERS
  Bonaparte's Gull      131
  Ring-billed Gull      1893
  Herring Gull  CW

  PIGEONS and DOVES
  Rock Pigeon   401
  Mourning Dove 319

  TYPICAL OWLS
  Eastern Screech-Owl   1
  Great Horned Owl      2
  Barred Owl    4

  KINGFISHERS
  Belted Kingfisher     35

  WOODPECKERS and ALLIES
  Red-bellied Woodpecker        151
  Yellow-bellied Sapsucker      73
  Downy Woodpecker      70
  Hairy Woodpecker      15
  Northern Flicker      75
  Pileated Woodpecker   12

  TYRANT FLYCATCHERS
  Eastern Phoebe        35

  JAYS MAGPIES and CROWS
  Blue Jay      420
  American Crow 2798

  TITMICE and CHICKADEES
  Carolina Chickadee    340
  Tufted Titmouse       392

  NUTHATCHES
  Red-breasted Nuthatch 1
  White-breasted Nuthatch       68
  Brown-headed Nuthatch 16

  CREEPERS
  Brown Creeper 4

  WRENS
  Carolina Wren 271
  House Wren    1
  Winter Wren   12

  KINGLETS
  Golden-crowned Kinglet        60
  Ruby-crowned Kinglet  45

  THRUSHES
  Eastern Bluebird      438
  Hermit Thrush 49
  American Robin        2573

  MOCKINGBIRDS THRASHERS and ALLIES
  Northern Mockingbird  237
  Brown Thrasher        19

  STARLINGS and ALLIES
  European Starling     2432

  WAGTAILS and PIPITS
  American Pipit        61

  WAXWINGS
  Cedar Waxwing 432

  WOOD-WARBLERS
  Yellow-rumped Warbler 523
  Pine Warbler  10
  Palm Warbler  2

  NEW WORLD SPARROWS and ALLIES
  Eastern Towhee        135
  Chipping Sparrow      57
  Field Sparrow 224
  Savannah Sparrow      55
  Fox Sparrow   11
  Song Sparrow  384
  Swamp Sparrow 70
  White-throated Sparrow        684
  White-crowned Sparrow 14
  Dark-eyed Junco       110

  CARDINALS BUNTINGS and GROSBEAKS
  Northern Cardinal     619

  BLACKBIRDS and ORIOLES
  Red-winged Blackbird  38
  Eastern Meadowlark    94
  Common Grackle        CW
  Brown-headed Cowbird  33

  FINCHES
  Purple Finch  2
  House Finch   174
  American Goldfinch    233

  OLD WORLD SPARROWS
  House Sparrow 53

Total species:  92 + 2 CW
Total individuals:      20225
Birds per party hour (CBC):     155.656747
Birds per party hour (ALL):     144.9301326

OBSERVERS:
Stacey Adair
Steve Adair
Jean Alexander