[TN-Bird] Knox County weekend birding - Turkey Creek

  • From: "Carole Gobert" <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 10:46:47 -0400

Went to both Walker Springs Park and Turkey Creek wetland in west Knox County, Tennessee Saturday & Sunday. Turkey Creek was virtually birdless Saturday (10 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.). 3 Mallards, 1 goldfinch, 1 cardinal plus could hear an occasional bluejay and Carolina wren. Sunday evening around 6:30 p.m was a little better with a green heron & killdeer at the pond next to Quiznos and 5 or 6 mallards & a wood duck at the pond by Connors. Also a great blue heron flew over. Very quiet though and I didn't stay long. I didn't walk back the chip trail either time as I could see people sitting and/or sleeping in the middle of it.

There were lots of butterflies and odonates, however. I' m just starting to learn how to ID butterflies but there were lots of Viceroys, monarchs, a pipevine swallowtail and at least one cabbage white.

Walker Springs Park was much more exciting.  I'll post that separately.

Carole Gobert, Knoxville, Knox County, Tennessee

TN-Bird Net is owned by the Tennessee Ornithological Society Neither the society(TOS) nor its moderator(s)