[TN-Bird] Knox County fish crows

  • From: cwelsh <cwelsh@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 08:06:52 -0400

Dean/Bates,

Twice in the last month I've seen and heard what I thought were Fish Crows out
on the Lyons Bend peninsula in Knox County.  The first sighting was July 3rd
at about 7 pm.  I was shooting baskets with a friend (Jeff Duncan) when I
heard what sounded like the "Uh-uh" call of a Fish Crow.  I stopped and looked
and soon saw the crow flying east to west and pointed it out to Jeff.  He had
heard the bird as well and also thought Fish Crow.  A second crow followed the
first at a distance of 100 m or so.

On July 9th I was at the same location (Peninsula Club out on Lyons Bend) at
about 6:30 pm when I heard the "Cah" call which could be a Fish Crow or
perhaps confused with young American.  I saw a single crow flying east to west
again, calling periodically.  As it got closer I could hear an answering "Cah"
and soon saw the 2nd crow, again following the first at some distance, but
clearly answering the first bird's calls.

I can't swear that these were Fish Crows, but I'd bet on it.  The Uh-uhs of
the bird on July 3rd were pretty clear.  Both times these birds were flying
east to west, roughly from the direction of UT Plant Sciences Farm toward
Craig Cove, possibly heading to roost.

Chris Welsh
Knoxville, TN