[TN-Bird] Knox Co Spring Count - prelim

  • From: K Dean EDWARDS <kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 22:20:39 -0400 (EDT)

I had a good day with several noteworthy birds while working
the Knox County Spring Count.  I covered

1) home - our neighborhood, west Knox Co near Cedar Bluff Rd
2) Pell - Pellissippi State campus, NTRC and Westbridge Industrial
Park, all on Hardin Valley Road exit of the Pellissippi Autobon
3) Solway - Solway bridge on Pellissippi Parkway looking back from
Edgemoor Road boat ramp in Anderson Co.
4) TCW - Turkey Creek Wetlands, Lovell Rd exit on I-40
5) Cherry Street exit on I-40
6) NSP - Concord Park including the boat ramp area, the fishing
pier, The Cove; Adm Farragut Park all on Northshore Rd in west
Knox Co

Personally I had 88 species on the day.  Results from others
that I have received so far bring the early total to 114 species
with less than 1/4 of the reports in.

Good day for shorebirds, bad day for raptors.  What warblers I
found were many of the same species.  Norhtern Waterthrushes abound!

Highlights from my list:

--COMMON LOON, 1 breeding plumage, Solway, studied on water then it took
off and circled a few times before landing... flopping back onto the
water.

--Black-crowned Night-Heron, 2, NSP, Concord Park fishing pier
--Black Vulture, 2, noteworthy in that it took a special trip to Toole's
bend roost to find ANY vultures today.

--Osprey, 1 NSP, 2 Solway, only raptor for me today!

--SORA, 1, TCW... I probably owe Carole Gobert an apology.  Saw and
photographed (poorly) behind EarthFare... right were Carole reported
a possible Sora on the Knoxville CBC that I decided to leave off the
tally.

--Killdeer
--Solitary Sandpiper, 1 HOME in neighborhood retention pond, "yard"bird
#141, 2 Pell St, 4 TCW
--Spotted Sandpiper, 7! Pell St, 1 NSP
--WILLET, 75, NSP Concord Park boat ramp, see other post
--Least Sandpiper, 2, Pell St
--others have reported Lesser and Greater Yellowlegs and Wilson's Snipe
for a total of 8 shorebird species so far... VERY GOOD for Knox Co

--FORSTER'S TERN, 1 full breeding, NSP, Concord Park boat ramp
--RING-BILLED GULL, 4 Concord Park boat ramp, 1 The Cove

--EURASIAN COLLARED-DOVE, 1 Cherry St exit

--Barred Owl, 2 yard

--Carolina Chickadee, 2 nests found plus the 2 nests in our yard

--House Wren, 2 TCW, shoving sticks in every nestbox in sight

--VEERY, 2 yard

--Cedar Waxwing, 141, everywhere

--Blue-winged Warbler, 1 yard
--Yellow Warbler, 1 yard, 4 TCW, 1 NSP
--Yellow-rumped (Myrtle) Warbler, 60
--Pine Warbler, 5, NSP, The Cove
--"Western" Palm Warbler, 5 TCW, 3 NSP
--Blackpoll Warbler, 1 yard, 1 NSP The Cove
--Black-and-white Warbler, 1 yard
--PROTHONOTARY WARBLER, 1 territorial male, TCW at the beaver dam
--NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH, at least 6! TCW including 3 fueding at the
beaver dam
--Common Yellowthroat, 6 TCW, 1 Westbridge, 1 NSP
--Hooded Warbler, 1 yard
--Yellow-breasted Chat, 4 TCW, 1 NTRC

--Scarlet Tanager, 1 yard, 1 TCW

--GRASSHOPPER SPARROW, 2 TCW! looking very out of place behind
EarthFare

--Orchard Oriole, 3 TCW, 1 NSP The Cove, 1 Westbridge
--BALTIMORE ORIOLE, 2 males yard, 2 males NSP The Cove

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES