[TN-Bird] Kittiwake present at Pickwick on 12-21

  • From: Shawna Ellis <yodergoat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tn Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 18:58:18 -0600

Pickwick Dam
Hardin County
10:00 am 12-21-15

The Black-legged Kittiwake was at the dam in its previous location perched
on the ledge as described and photographed by others on this list. Thanks
to the good directions on where to look, we saw the bird almost
immediately. This was good because it did not linger there very long before
feeding over the water and then disappearing. We did not remain long to see
if it reappeared.

This was a life bird for my husband, 9 year old daughter and myself. We had
been concerned that the bird might leave the area before we could make it
out there, so we were relieved and thankful to see it.

Many thanks to those who have given updates!

As a side note, we made an attempt to see some Brown-headed Nuthatches over
at the state park where we've seen them before, but the park areas were
partially closed for maintenance or something. Some gates were closed, and
some were open, but a staff member implied that it was all closed.

Shawna Ellis
Paris, Henry County