[TN-Bird] Kingston Steam Plant area: Little Blue Herons & Cattle Egrets

  • From: "LeGrand family" <elegrand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'TN-birds Listserv'" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 20:59:23 -0500

Carol Gobert's recent posts about Swan Pond Recreation Area on the back side
of the Kingston Steam Plant in Roane County got me off my duff, giving me a
very pleasant surprise. The wetlands (on eBird shown as Swan Pond Rec. Area
- Gupton Wetland) are well marked with road signs, have a nice parking area,
and a paved trail beside very impressive willow-laden ponds with areas of
cattails. There were 3 immature Little Blue Herons and 3 Great Egrets there
today (Friday, July 24) (see list below-surprisingly good for midday).

Around 6 PM, I checked out nearby Lakeshore Park in Swan Pond Recreation
Area that borders the back side of the steam plant and a wide section of the
Emory River. As Carol noted, the island about 200-300 yards out from the
canoe launch had Cattle Egrets along with at least 50 cormorant nests. I
counted 10 Cattle Egrets, 2-3 in full adult plumage, occasionally feeding
some of the 7-8 juveniles. The juveniles have black bills and black legs,
looking surprisingly like adult Snowy Egrets, but lacking yellow feet and
yellow lores. Sibley's guide notes the similarity of juvenile Cattle Egrets
and Snowy Egrets; and when the young Cattle Egrets are by themselves and
have their necks stretched out, the similarity is alarming. There was also a
Brown-headed Nuthatch at the grove of pines near the restroom (new and
clean).

Lastly, I stopped at the original pine stand by the power plant (within very
easy hearing of the interstate) and easily found at least 2 Brown-headed
Nuthatches-so they're still there.

I was really impressed with the habitat and the efforts by TVA to make this
a really nice birding area. I imagine it will get better with time, once the
large bulldozed areas get better growth. With the recent rains, there wasn't
much shorebird habitat, but I imagine this could be an especially
interesting area in late summer or any time of year. I'm remiss in not
returning to the steam plant area sooner-now I'll make it a regular stop
when I'm in the area.

Ed LeGrand

Cumberland Co., TN

Swan Pond Rec. Area--Gupton Wetland, Roane, Tennessee, US Jul 24, 2015 11:15
AM - 11:50 AM

Protocol: Traveling

0.75 mile(s)

Comments: Sunny, warm, mid-day <br />Submitted from BirdLog NA for iOS,
version 1.8

33 species

Canada Goose 250

Wood Duck 6

Northern Bobwhite 2 Heard

Double-crested Cormorant 3

Great Blue Heron 5

Great Egret 3

Little Blue Heron 3 Immatures. Much smaller than adjacent Great Egrets.
Legs uniformly dull yellow, bill on each was fleshy-gray with a black tip.
Bill on each bird was relatively long and slightly decurved.

Green Heron 3

Black Vulture 2

Turkey Vulture 6

Cooper's Hawk 1

Killdeer 4

Mourning Dove 6

Chimney Swift 1

Belted Kingfisher 2

Pileated Woodpecker 1

Eastern Kingbird 1

American Crow 1

Purple Martin 3

Carolina Wren 2

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 3

Brown Thrasher 1

Northern Mockingbird 1

Common Yellowthroat 5

Yellow-breasted Chat 2 Well seen together in tall bushes

Eastern Towhee 2

Field Sparrow 1

Song Sparrow 2

Northern Cardinal 1