[TN-Bird] Kingston STeam Plant Aug 26, 2005- SBDowitcher, Sanderling...

  • From: "Allan Trently" <ajtcorax@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 14:27:49 -0400

I birded Eagle Bend Fish Hatchery in Anderson County, Clinton, TN today. Only two ponds have habitat, and it is low quality habitat with not much shorebird activity. I did see a Buff-Breasted Sandpiper though. Also Killdeer and Spotted Sandpiper.

I birded TVA's Kingston Steam (Fossil) Plant today, August 26, 2005 from 9:05 am to 11:35 am. The plant is in Roane County, Kingston, TN. Here is a list of birds I observed (not a complete list- I left out most common resident birds; no shorebirds were left out):

1. Double-crested Cormorants- 3
2. Great Blue Heron- 3
3. Black-crowned Night-heron- 12 (I believe all but 2 were immatures)
4. Canada Goose- 80 (a flock of 70 flew in. These birds landed but took off immediately as I walked
above them on one of the roads)
5. Redhead (duck)- 1 (male, nonbreeding. My knowledge of the bird is that this would be a very
early migrant)
6. Osprey- 2
7. Killdeer- 15
8. Sanderling- 1 (this bird clearly had rufous speckling on the chest but not on the back. Most of the
bird was white, gray and black- so probably in post-breeding plumage)
9. Semipalmated Sandpiper- 1 (the bird looked like the photo on page 222, figure 62.8 of Dennis
Paulson's book, Shorebirds of North America except this bird had light black legs and not yellow-
green. The bill looked more semi than western, it had a split supercillium)
10. Semipalmated/Western Sandpiper- 1 (could not decipher this one to species)
11. Least Sandpiper- 4
12. Short-billed Dowitcher- 1 (in what I would call post-breeding plumage since it had an orange-
colored breast. The bird sang as it flew out of the area. I id'ed it by its flight call)
13. Caspian Terns- 3 (one looked like an adult breeding, the other two were adult nonbreeding- all
had red bills with black on the cap, the nonbreeders with a streaked black forehead)

There is lots of earth moving, grading, ect. going on at the plant but the mudflats are in tact. Good luck to those going on the TOS bird trip tomorrow.

Allan Trently
Anderson County, Norris, TN
ajtcorax@xxxxxxxxxxx

TN-Bird Net is owned by the Tennessee Ornithological Society Neither the society(TOS) nor its moderator(s)